HAVANA • CUBA
HAVANA • CUBA
BOXING | CULTURAL EXPLORATION
October 4-8, 2018 *Advanced Registration Opens July 18th
Boxing, Salsa Dancing, Cigar Smoking, Vintage Car Cruising, Time Traveling ADVENTURE OF THE YEAR - Welcome to a once in a lifetime trip! We wake up to a boxing workout with Rumble instructors Julian Devine and Christina Jensen, get cultured in the rich history of Havana, and we wait until we get back to Instagram because there is no wifi.. and no ATMs, and no cell service, and basically welcome to the 1950's.
10/4 - 10/8
Private Room For One Person
José Martí International Airport (HAV)
THE REAL CUBA
For the first time in decades, Cuba’s door has creaked open for American travelers. As one of the first to experience this cobblestoned communist isle of 11 million inhabitants, you’ll find the rum is plentiful, the smiles infectious and hot dancing encouraged. This time around we are adding a Boxing Theme which will include a visit to the Trejo Boxing Gym and watch why this place has links to more boxing Olympic medals than any other country! We will learn boxing technique from the very beginner steps to the more advanced one way sparring you can partake in (basically just hit Julian), all while going on cultural excursions throughout Havana and the surrounding countryside!
We'll fly into José Martí International Airport (HAV), we will help you purchase the correct flights and our team will walk you through the whole process all the way to your arrival. Most of us will leave from NYC so you'll us at the airport. Once we arrive you'll see our whole squad and team leaders - we'll have all your info and will know exactly where to find you!
Mary Bruce, our local professional Cuba guide, will be taking us on an incredible time traveling journey for 5 epic days and 4 sexy nights of cultural immersion in historic Havana, paired with daily bootcamps, boxing training sessions, salsa dancing all while hosted within a badass wellness center featuring sprawling grounds a 24/7 swimming pool to cool your cigar smoking buns off.
We've also assembled a cast of Cuban characters to give you a proper welcome: musicians, local artists, cigar aficionados and entrepreneurs that understand where Cuba came from, where the country sits now and more importantly where it's going.
Flights. We recommend the United flight from Newark departing 10:25am October 4th and coming back the United flight from Havana departing 2:50pm October 8th. If you decide to come earlier or stay later we can help arrange transportation but we are not responsible for the cost of it. Basically try to be at HAV around 2pm give or take on October 4th.
#MojitoLessons - Night of Salsa Lessons + Dancing by the Water
#TimeTravel - Walking tour of Havana’s Old City
#CubanWilliamsburg - Enjoy the recently renovated Fabrica del Arte, an eclectic warehouse of art, live music, and dancing, and one of the most popular spots for a night out in Havana.
#LearningCoolStuff - Drive through Cuba’s scenic countryside to Las Terrazas, the pioneering eco-village that is now a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
#ButFirstCoffee - Discuss the reserve with a local sustainability expert and enjoy local coffee specialties.
#BikiniTime - Swim with locals in the clean, cascading waters that fall into a series of pools at the Baños del San Juan. Fancy dives welcome.
#Farm2Table2Belly - Enjoy lunch en el campo with farm-fresh local ingredients, and have a discussion on food in Cuba.
#LocalsOnly - Visit to the home of a local artist.
#NamasteAndSmellTheCoffee - Mountaintop yoga (hello sunset) on one of the oldest coffee plantations, with stunning views of the lush green valley and the Caribbean sea in the distance.
#CultralAF - Private studio and home tour with the family of acclaimed Cuban muralist and ceramist José Fúster, described as the “Picasso of the Caribbean.”
#AMansMan - Drive to the hilltop village of San Francisco de Paula for a private visit and cultural discussion at Ernest Hemingway’s Finca Vigía— the eclectic house where he lived for 20 years—now a museum displaying his library, manuscripts and personal effects. BTW He was a boxer, bullfighter, boozer and occasional bruiser!
#PinterestHeaven - Peruse Almacenes de Depósito San José, a giant arts and crafts market, and interact with artists, or enjoy some self-exploration around the old city.
#TopDownRimsSpinnin - Cruise in antique American convertibles from the 1920s to 1950s down the Malecón at sunset.
This is a trip of a lifetime. We would love to have you join us if you have a good attitude about life, enjoy making new friends, and want to try something new!
- Space is limited to 35 spots.
- To reserve purchase the $500 deposit below.
- Single shared is a queen size bed in a room with two beds.
- Private room is a King size bed in a private room.
- We will walk you through the visa process. The price is usually $50-$75.
- We've reserved a flight block at $339 that is available to anyone that signs up in the first 10 days, or you can book your own flights too.
4 Nights Accommodations at a 4-Star Wellness Center
Daily bootcamp + boxing sessions
SYB boxing gloves
SYB Cuba swag
Most meals in Havana including all breakfasts, unlimited fresh juices, two lunches, three dinners, and many many mojitos
A bilingual, private guide—one of the very best in Havana.
Admission to all proposed activities and events
All transportation in Cuba
Professional photos + videos from adventure (yes we bring a professional photographer)
We do have a block of flights reserved from NYC at $339 for the first 25 people for up to 10 days
Newark-Havana 10:25 AM – 1:50 PM
Havana-Newark 2:50 PM - 6:15 PM
Meals not in included in program
Travel insurance (optional)
If you have any questions about this adventure please reach out with any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
DAY ONE, THURSDAY
Arrive in Cuba; Explore Old Havana, Intention Setting
- After customs, we will meet our private guide and head towards Havana to unload at our headquarters for the weekend—
- Hotel La Pradera, a health and wellness center, just across from the Castro compound.
- Optional yoga and pool dip party to shake off the flight.
- Enjoy a guided stroll through Old Havana, highlighting the main historic plazas: the Plaza de la Catedral, Plaza de Armas,
- Plaza de San Francisco and Plaza Vieja, stopping for informal encounters with local artists and shopkeepers.
- Welcome cocktails and briefing on life in Cuba, before our welcome dinner
- Enjoy the recently renovated Fabrica del Arte, an eclectic warehouse of art, live music, and dancing, and one of the most popular spots for a night out in Havana.
DAY TWO, FRIDAY
Arts and Adventure
- Morning workout and boxing session.
- Breakfast and briefing on health in Cuba.
- Drive to the hilltop village of San Francisco de Paula for a private visit and cultural discussion at Ernest Hemingway’s Finca Vigía— the eclectic house where he lived for 20 years—now a museum displaying his library, manuscripts and personal effects.
- Enjoy an authentic lunch enjoying live music back in Old Havana.
- Peruse Almacenes de Depósito San José, a giant arts and crafts market, and interact with artists, or enjoy some self-exploration around the old city.
- Return to hotel and wellness center to freshen up.
- Enjoy dinner on a rooftop, before dancing tonight at one of Havana's top clubs as well as a late night pool sesh.
DAY THREE, SATURDAY
Immersion in Cuba’s Extraordinary Natural Landscape
- Morning workout and bootcamp.
- Breakfast with fresh juices, omelets and fruits at La Pradera.
- Drive through Cuba’s scenic countryside to Las Terrazas, the pioneering eco-village that is now a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
- Discuss the reserve with a local sustainability expert and enjoy local coffee specialties.
- Visit to the home of a local artist.
- Enjoy lunch en el campo with farm-fresh local ingredients, and have a discussion on food in Cuba.
- Swim with locals in the clean, cascading waters that fall into a series of pools at the Baños del San Juan.
- Mountaintop yoga (hello sunset) on one of the oldest coffee plantations, with stunning views of the lush green valley and the Caribbean sea in the distance.
- Return to La Pradera to freshen up for the evening.
- Enjoy a dinner, a rum and coffee tasting, and Cuban cigars with your fellow badasses.
- Havana Nights Party with an open-air dance floor to practice and flaunt your new moves and salsa salutations.
DAY FOUR, SUNDAY
Spiritual Wonders and Boxing Day
- Morning restorative yoga practice.
- Breakfast with fresh juices, omelets and fruits at La Pradera.
- Sunday morning reveries of Hamel de Callejon, a neighborhood dedicated to Santería practitioners and public art.
- Stop for lunch in one of the colorful art galleries.
- Visit to one of the oldest boxing clubs in Cuba, with a full boxing session and work out
- Freshen up with an afternoon at the beach with some new Cuban friends and wellness activities
- Return to La Pradera
- Cruise in authentic antique American convertibles from the 1920s to 1950s down the Malecón, before ending up at the Christ statue that overlooks Havana.
- Begin your final night in Cuba with a bang at El Cañonazo, the canon firing ceremony kept from colonial times at the Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña.
- Farewell dinner
DAY FIVE, MONDAY
Adiós Cuba—Be back soon!
- Morning meditation and restorative yoga practice.
- Breakfast and final thoughts.
- Private studio and home tour with the family of acclaimed Cuban muralist and ceramist José Fúster, described as the “Picasso of the Caribbean".
- Enjoy a private lunch in the artist's home, exclusively for Surf Yoga Beer, and shop for that final Cuban art momento.
- Head to José Martí Airport for check-in, and for any last-minute cigar or rum purchases at the airport before departing for home destinations.
OUR ACCOMMODATIONS IN HAVANA:
Favorite Questions & Answers:
What if I don't know anyone?
Even better, we encourage people to go alone - in fact most people go without knowing anyone else. #allnewfriends
How does the visa work?
We walk you through the whole process, but basically it is all with the airline that you book with. #wegotyou
How much fitness/boxing is there?
Since this is technically for visa purposes a cultural exchange, our fitness time is limited to mornings and some afternoons. All levels are welcome you do not need to know anything about boxing we gotchu! #detox2retox
Is there internet?
We will have wifi at the wellness resort, but part of the magic of Cuba is that it is so cut off from the world so don't expect too much connectivity. #offthegrid
LEARN MORE ABOUT CUBA ON OUR BLOG:
- A $500 deposit is due to confirm your reservation.
- If you purchase a deposit, your remaining payment will be due 30 days before retreat start date.
- Tax is already included.
- Your down payment is non-refundable or transferable.